Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sharpie Mugs...Cafe au lait?

It seems that I did not manage to save ONE travel mug for myself during the move. I used to use the plastic mugs you get with the Disney Dining Plan because they were microwaveable. I would take my coffee with me to work each day and then when it was break time I would just pop it in the microwave quick. Voila, just saved myself from having to pay $2 for crappy cafeteria coffee.

While we were packing up we decided to just chuck them (we had 2) because well, they're plastic travel mugs and they do tend to get a funk after a while. Oh and we go to Disney a ton so we'll get new ones next time. 

Now that I'm driving Aidan to school a bit further and earlier than his last preschool I find myself wanting to drink my coffee on our drive. But I literally had no travel coffee mug. I started searching places like Etsy, and unrelated to travel coffee mugs, I came across these cute Harry Potter Mugs that someone had handmade.








 Then I had a thought. I could totally make those.
I bought a GIANT pack of Sharpies at Target and some white mugs from the dollar store. Then I scoured the web for different instructions on how to make "sharpie mugs".
I found one that seemed like it was the best to follow and went for it.

The beauty of Sharpie mugs is that before you bake them you can wipe them off and start again, or fix any mistakes. In fact I made one for Adam too and I re-did the quote on the back of his 3 times because it kept ending up off-centered.

Here is my finished piece.

Since I was super bored I made a Harry & Ron pair too.

I've noticed that the sharpie lasted about a week after baking before I needed to re-do some of it. Even though it won't exactly wash off with a sponge I think it was getting scratched off by other things touching it in the sink (hand wash only of course). So I grabbed the sharpies and touched it up and baked it again. no biggie, and worth it for the cute mug ;)


As for the travel mug, I ended up ordering one from the Disney Store. If you've seen the new Mickey cartoons on the Disney Channel you'll get it ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment