Monday, July 22, 2013

Run Disney!!

So I've always seen the advertisements for running the Disney World Marathon or the Princess Half Marathon, etc at Disney World.


While I have always had a secret desire to be able to say I ran one of those I knew that a half marathon just wasn't in this "non-runner's" future. I mean I don't care if I can dress as a Princess while I run....13.1 miles just ain't happenin'.

Then one weekend at work on a boring Saturday in Chemistry (funny enough it was very shortly after we had just returned from a WDW visit), in my usual browsings across the Disney website I saw something about a 5k. What? A 5k?? I can do a 5k!!

This discovery lead me to the RunDisney website where I discovered a whole secret world of Disney races!!!

Lisa was in the midst of training for a Girls on The Run 5k with Emma and so in a crazy "Black Magic Espresso Blend" coffee buzz/motivated by Lisa's motivation, I ran around the lab talking a mile a minute deciding I was going to run Disney!! I'm sure Lisa still remembers how bouncy I was that day! Anything Disney gets me excited, but something NEW at Disney gets me more excited! Hell, we've visited WDW a ton of times, so this was something new and cool to do!

Now I was on a mission to recruit friends to do it with me! Ryan and I decided on the Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend since I have been talking about visiting Disney during the International Food and Wine festival forever anyway. For varying reasons, lots of friends were unable to make the journey with us. It was OK until Ryan decided he was going to challenge himself and run the Half Marathon, leaving me with no running buddy for the 5k :(

I managed to not worry about it during our crazy last months in PA and the new move to TX but last week I threw it out on Facebook that I needed a running buddy and a friend/neighbor from back home in NY responded that he and his wife would be willing to do it with me. They live in Orlando (and I believe at one time they have both worked for The Mouse himself), so why not?

Yay! Running buddies!

Then I started putting a bug in Krysta's ear because I knew she didn't have any actual "obligations" to keep her from coming ;) Ryan pulled a few strings and created a plan (best hubby ever) to make sure we could convince her to come run with me! So Krysta will be coming and staying with us in our Villa for race weekend (this will be our first trip as Disney Vacation Club members!!), and we'll have a sleepover weekend and now I have THREE running buddies!!! Yay!!

I'm not sure if Eric and Katie are going costumed but I am running in a Snow White getup and Krysta I believe has decided on Ariel.



The official countdown and planning has begun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment