Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Popple Birthday Cake Disaster of 2011

I knew I wanted Funfetti cake for my birthday. I also knew I wanted to use my family recipe for homemade frosting too (Stuff from a can? Yuck.). So who better to make it all than me?
Yes, I made my own birthday cake. Or at least tried to.

I decided for sh*ts and giggles that I would pull out some of the old cake pans my mom gave me from cakes she made for me and my brother when we were little.. I was torn between the Cabbage Patch Kid and the Popple, but in the end the Popple won.



To make a long story short, even though I greased and floured the pan like I was instructed, the cake would NOT come out of the pan.
It ended up coming out in lots and lots of broken pieces...it was a MESS!!

I decided to make the best of it and took the largest chunks and pieced them together on 2 different plates, one for Michele and her guys and one for us. With a ton of frosting and some poorly drawn decorations (along with sprinkles on Wells & Maddox's), they were edible but looked like horribly misshapen blobs. Ah well.




I took the pile of completely destroyed cake scraps and smashed it together into one big chunk of cake, and gave it to Aidan to "decorate".



I filled his "coffee cup" (he always asks for his "coffee cup" so he can drink coffee with Mommy) with frosting and gave him a mini spatula and showed him how to frost it...




Then he added sprinkles




and managed to eat a few sprinkles as well







We went out to dinner on my birthday Aidan-free because Michele was generous enough to offer to watch him for us. She rocks! When I went to pick him up he looked at me and said " I don't want to go home". Hmmph well fine then. But you're coming home anyway.

She even helped all 3 boys make me some birthday cards...which I must say were by far my 3 favorite cards this birthday!



No comments:

Post a Comment