Monday, March 3, 2014

Accidental Green Cookies

My Aunt Linda makes the world's best chocolate chip cookies.
Hands down.

People beg her to make them for them. She brings them to parties and events and they're gone in minutes.

I've been telling her for years that she would make a fortune if she started selling them. No joke.

She shared her recipe with me years ago when I asked for it, but then she admitted to me the big "secret".  

Be prepared, if you know my Auntie and love her cookies, this may just blow your mind. She said: "you know, it's just the recipe from the back of the tollhouse bag."



Yeah, I almost died.

However, there are some tricks she uses to make them Auntie quality that she's passed on to me.


The first being that you add peanut butter of course! Well, in our house we don't cook with, or use PB in anything due to Mason's allergy so I stopped making these cookies long ago when he was diagnosed. I just knew they wouldn't be the same without the peanut butter.

Yesterday I finally decided to give them a whirl using SunButter, which is a peanut butter substitute made from Sunflower Seeds.






I can usually get my cookies to turn out very Auntie Authentic. My brother was visiting in PA once and insisted she had mailed them to me, when I had made them myself.
Quite the compliment!


However, the sun butter changed up my usual recipe/tricks so yesterday's batch weren't quite up to par, although Ryan says they were tasty, but "no Auntie cookie"....and then told me to call her and place an order to be mailed to him. SMH.



Then today I go to eat one and realize it's a blue/green color inside. Since the only thing different about this batch was the sun butter, I googled it and discovered that sunflower seeds contain a chemical that turns the cookies green when they cool. Not harmful but I guess may freak some people out. They say you can adjust your leavening agent (baking soda in this case), but if they taste the same, I say why mess with it?? So now we have green chocolate chip sun butter cookies.



Perhaps we could write a new Dr. Seuss book about green cookies.......

No comments:

Post a Comment