Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Turkey Trot

While watching TV the week before Thanksgiving I saw an ad for the Houston Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I mentioned how cool I thought that was and Ryan pointed out he was off that day so we decided to sign up. Even though we both would have liked to run the 10k we knew we'd have to push the boys with us so we decided to keep it at the 5k, just as something fun to do ;)


The days leading up to the race were cold here in Houston….like upper 30's/low 40's. It was a cold front, because the average temps are in the 70's this time of year! (Hell it was in the 80's yesterday and it's December!)

The morning of the race it was 36 degrees. We were very chilly, and my toes were numb before we even started!

I took this pic after we finished and were getting some water. We had noticed around mile 2 that Mason was sleeping, lol.



Ryan had forgotten when we signed up for the race that he had to work night shift on Wednesday night, so after we ran the race, we went home, had some breakfast and Ryan headed to bed. I still can't believe he was able to run a race after working all night!



Since I had already made a full turkey dinner on Sunday when Brittany & James came over we decide to do it again on a slightly smaller scale just for us on Thursday. I got a turkey breast, and most of the basic fixins, but bought a pie this time, lol.


Once Ryan got up we started face timing people and got to see the entire family/crew at Adam & Don's house, the Schoenly Family, my Brother and even Krysta too!

I love technology!



So it turns out the turkey breast was way better than any other whole turkey I've ever cooked! It was super tasty because I was able to get all the seasoning under the skin (which I've always had trouble with a whole bird since the skin is attached all over). We had white meat out the wazoo, which is nice because I'm not particularly fond of dark meat anyway, and the leftover dark meat in our house always goes to waste :/


Even though we couldn't be home with our family, we had a great day packed with talking to them and spending time together as our little family of four.

Miss you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment