Thursday, January 16, 2014

Race Bling - a DYI


Since Ry and I have acquired a few medals and race bibs from our recent running adventures, I decided as an early birthday present to Ry I would whip up some medal displays.
I initially planned on ordering him one from Etsy, but as I researched and talked to Krysta (who made her hubby a similar display for xmas), I decided to make them myself so that I could make them 100% the way I wanted!


Since we're in this running journey together lately, I decided to make myself one too….a "his" and "hers" if you will. (Ryan got us each a FitBit band for Christmas too)

I gathered up my supplies at Hobby Lobby: wooden frames, small metal hooks that screw in (2 sizes, I got smaller ones to hang the medals and larger ones to hang all the bibs), and acrylic craft paint (already on hand at home).

I started by taking the frames apart. I removed the glass and took the cardboard that was in the back of the glass and painted it white.

While chatting with my dad about my plan, he gave me some tips for getting those damn hooks in the frame. They are metal and have a small screw on the back to attach them with. I was planning on starting a hole with a nail or something then screwing them in, but Dad had a better idea.





 So I tapped them in with a hammer and used Ryan's pliers to twist them in the rest of the way. It was a pain in the ass because if I twisted even slightly wrong the hook's screw would fall out of track and I would have to start all over again.



Once the hooks were all in along the bottom of the frame I painted the edges of Ryan's frame blue and mine purple.



Once they were dry I put the cardboard that I painted white back in place (no glass of course).


From there I placed my bibs where I wanted them in the frame and screwed the larger hooks into the cardboard according to where the holes were on the bibs. Yes, the hooks actually stayed. I was worried they wouldn't, but they screwed in just like wood and are quite secure. Once the bibs were attached I decided they needed a little something else, so I added a painted "his" and "hers" to each of the frames.

Then I hung them on our bedroom wall where I wanted them and started hanging the medals.

Ry's medals: Spartan Race, Disney 1/2, and Houston 1/2.

 My medals: Castaway Cay 5k, and Jingle Jungle 5k.




I think it's a great way to display both the bibs and the medals, which I know we are both quite proud of, and it makes for a great way to preserve memories. (I even wrote the date of each race on the back of the bibs).





I hope this inspires you to do something fun with your treasured keepsakes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment