Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Shiny Shoes

While putting some clothes away yesterday with Aidan underfoot (as usual), he discovered his dress shoes in the closet and insisted on wearing them.

And I thought: " so it begins..soon I'll have a kid wearing hilarious mis-matched combinations of clothes he picked out himself, or even better a super hero costume to the grocery store"...right Michele?

I chuckled and agreed to let him wear them but told him he had to pick out some socks too.

He didn't want the Buzz lightyear Socks.
He didn't want white socks.
He didn't want blue dress socks with cars on them.

He wanted red and white striped Santa Mickey socks.
Ok, you're the boss, kiddo.







We also had our first lost toy heartbreak yesterday after a trip to the pediatrician for Mason's well visit.
He's allowed to take one toy wth him when we leave the house (and that started about a year ago because it's easier for me to keep track of only one extra thing while we're out and about).

Well, he chose one of the new matchbox cars that grandpa got him, which he got along with 2 others. He's been playing with them as a trio all weekend long. They belong together. All three of them are apparently like a little unseparable team.

So he has it in the waiting area. Then we run into a friend from work who is there with her daughter. I'm trying to keep tabs on Aidan who is playing with some toys with other kids (you know, making sure there is sharing and no hitting, etc.), and trying to keep an eye on the stroller with Mason in it all while I chat.

We get back to the exam room and we no longer have the car. The nurse offers to go back out and look for it, but alas she comes back empty-handed.
Now I feel bad. Real bad. This was a gift that my dad had JUST given him. Argh. How careless of me!

So anyway we get home, and I just hope that he just doesn't notice that it's missing.
Yeah.
Right.

Well he sees the other 2 cars from the trio on the table and asks where his other one is. I told him we lost it at the Dr's office, and he starts crying and sobbing " I want my truck Mom, you go find it. Go find it, Mom!"

Now I've gone from feeling real bad to feeling like the worst mom in the world. I'm on the verge of tears when I call my dad to tell him what happened and he gets Aidan to stop crying long enough on the phone to tell him that he's going to go get him a new one and send it in the mail ASAP.
Grandpa to the rescue!
I should also mention that in addition to the one replacement car, Grandpa got duplicates of the other 2 cars in the trio "just in case"...plus a bunch more. Now we have about 9 more cars coming to the house. I think Grandpa went a little overboard, huh? ;)

2 comments:

  1. Grandpa is a SHOW OFF! Sheesh... I don't want 9 small cars. I want one REALLY big one Grandpa Larry! PWEASE!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - The black shoes with red and white striped socks is SO in this fall. The kid is ahead of his time. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete